When we moved in here, there was no covering on the downstairs sliding glass doors. We put in vertical blinds. That is to say, we found them at Home Base and I installed them. I went a bit too low, and the mechanism was a bit too cheap, and after about a month one or two of the slats were stuck, and over the course of a year, one or two of them broke at the top, leaving big openings. Well, when we moved down here for a bedroom, the gaps became a problem, so we hung some fabric over it, ugly.
This year, with my 40%off discount for being a Norm Thompson phone lackey, I was able to buy some thermal-insulating curtains ... and finally put up the curtains down here, it took a lot of work to get the verticals down.